Thursday, July 23, 2015

Early spring I found four beans left in a pocket from when I helped Joe plant his last-year garden.  Four beans?  Was that all I have left from that time of wonder?
Beings I am me, always searching for the whys of happening....the perpetual wonderer---I  planted those beans in pots in February, too early to have been wise to expect a vigorous life for them.
“Something like that Joe episode,” I thought. “Bad timing.”  Dang!

Joe and beans and growth and timing and metaphors....off I go.

A mythic character named Jack (could have been “Joe” or “Jill”) planted some few beans he believed were magic and, whoosh, they grew into an entrance to another world. 
Jack, ventured in, found a fe-fi-foeing giant, he figured to be dangerous so grabbed what he assumed was the giant’s treasure and beat it out of there. 
Back in his usual world, he unfortunately fell back into the old paradigm and was made to cut down the bean stock.  ...No way back to try to really understand fully that other world.

Still there was a residue of knowledge of something greater that could have been had in that land of the fe-fi-fowing giant.  But Jack could only struggle weakly amid the debris of the fallen bean stock and pick out now and then a small sliver of proof that there had indeed been a reality beyond present time and place. 
    But those of Jack’s world would not tolerate someone like him trying to share with them and so shunned Jack, as they had those like him.  They had their ways of doing this.  One was to heap ridicule and remake the facts, even locking them and Jack away in a “fairy tale.”  Anything so they could go on living the status quo.

The wise Jacks usually just wait and work in their own gardens.  Some quietly write their thoughts for a future time and generation.  Thus did the Jack (or Joe) who gave me the four beans that started this train of thought.  Well he finish?  It remains to be seen.  I hope so.


No comments: