Saturday, October 29, 2011

Glen and I have often said how nice it would be to go out together. We almost made it happen yesterday. I thought I wanted to go to Zion and Springdale to find out about supposedly a new photo paper that sort of has a glow in the dark feel. So we decided to go for an outing with our car---supposedly bought to be rather sure us old folks would have no car trouble. We had a nice day, headed home early, so as not to tax Glen much. We headed back east through the Zion tunnel and thump, thump, we started to hear the sounds of a flat tire. IN THE TUNNEL!! YIKES! I was driving, which I do now, and could think of nothing to do but drive on. So I did. Just as we exited the back tire caught fire. I pulled off the road there where there is a parking place, and as good luck would have it, there was a forest ranger just happening to be there with a fire extinguisher in his truck. It was a guy not stationed there, just happened to be there. He put out the fire, but then felt that it would be unwise to drive it with spare on, not knowing if breaks were damaged or what. No cell phone signal, so that took some doing to get word to a tow truck from Orderville to come get us. Then it was wait. Ranger fixed a sun shield for Dad and my wonderful, good little doggie was so patient tied to a bush. Then seven big-horned sheep started to watch us from the cliffs. That made a nice show and I took pictures. Good-ol'-boy from Orderville came with a trailer and luckily he had a stool in back, because he often takes his mother places, otherwise, I can't imagine how we would have gotten Glen in that truck. We decided to be taken to Panguitch, a little expensive, but what the heck. Car is waiting for good ol' Gary and mechanic here to determine what to do. Whatever, I suspect Glen and I will not venture out much anymore. I still shudder at what could have happened. Glen's ability to move about is about shot. How I could have gotten him out of that car on fire in that tunnel is still a nightmare.
My trip to Zion didn't find me many answers about photograph paper, but the wife of the guy with tow truck is an artist....a nice lady trying to get a break. I like her work. Oh, if I were only younger!!....I'd like to help would-bes like her....and me do something that would cut the mustard....whatever that really means.
Anyway, we are still here to tackle another day. Veda

No comments: